The biography of artist, environmental activist, documentary film producer and philanthropist Susan Swartz.
Susan Swartz explores the landscape through potent colors and richly layered abstract paintings. With her evocation of coastal splendor and mountain drama, Swartz follows in the tradition of the great German painters, 19th century Romantic sage Caspar David Friedrich, and 20th century icon Gerhard Richter. She is inspired by the intersection of art, nature and spirituality.
Swartz's distinctive style has been recognized with solo exhibitions at the Central Academy of Fine Arts (CAFA) Museum in Beijing, China in 2018; the Manetti Shrem Museum in Davis, California in 2018; the Russian State Museum in St. Petersburg, Russia in 2017; the Ludwig Museum of Contemporary Art in Budapest, Hungary in 2016; the Ludwig Museum in Koblenz, Germany in 2015; the Kollegienkirche in Salzburg, Austria; the Museum for Women in the Arts in Washington, D.C in 2011; the Springville Museum of Art in Springville, Utah in 2010; and the Utah Museum of Fine Arts in Salt Lake City, Utah in 2008. Her works are in the permanent collections of the National Museum of Women in the Arts; the Springville Museum of Art; the Utah Museum of Fine Arts; the International Olympic Museum in Lausanne, Switzerland; and The CAFA Museum in Beijing, China. Her work is also on display inside the United States Embassies in New Zealand, Hungary, and Beijing via the Art in Embassies program.
In 2005, Swartz was published in the Gibbs Smith collectors book Painters of the Wasatch Mountains alongside Wasatch Mountain School artists Maynard Dixon, Albert Bierstadt and Thomas Moran. The same year she was honored by the Harvard Divinity School for a career that continues to blend artistry and faith. Swartz was the Official Olympic Environmental Artist for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games.
The underlying energy and tension to Swartz's work hints of her complex relationship with the natural world. Her decade long struggle with mercury poisoning and Lyme disease transformed her as an artist and as a citizen. She now works from a place of impassioned reverence for the earth, and of fierce determination to inform and educate. Partnering with Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., Louie Psihoyos and Dr. Jane Goodall on a number of their environmental campaigns, Swartz also supports the vision and production of documentary filmsthat seek to shed light on social and environmental injustice. Films touched by her include Academy Award-winners and nominees, as well as Sundance Film Festival award winners.
Swartz serves on the National Advisory Board of the National Museum of Women in the Arts, the Dean's Council of the Harvard Divinity School and is the co-founder of charity-based The Christian Center of Park City She is on the board of the Utah Film Center and a founding member of the documentary film organization Impact Partners.
Swartz paints from studios in Park City, Utah and Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts.
- Central Academy of Fine Arts (CAFA)
- George Eccles 2002 Olympic Winter Games Museum
Park City, Utah
- International Olympic Museum
- National Museum of Women in the Arts
- Springville Museum of Art
- US National Ski Hall of Fame & Museum
- Utah Museum of Fine Arts
Salt Lake City,Utah
In private and corporate collections worldwide.
Solo Museum & Academic Exhibitions
- Central Academy of Fine Arts (CAFA) Beijing, China 2018
- Manetti Shrem Museum at UC Davis Davis, California 2018
- Ludwig Museum at Russian State MuseumSt. Petersburg, Russia 2017
- Ludwig Museum of Contemporary Art Budapest, Hungary 2016
- Ludwig Museum Koblenz, Germany 2015
- Kollengienkirche Salzburg, Austria 2014
- National Museum of Women in the Arts Washington, DC 2011
- Springville Museum of Art Springville, Utah 2010
- Utah Museum of Fine Arts Salt Lake City, Utah 2008
- Harvard Divinity School Boston, Massachusetts 2005
Gallery & Art Fair Exhibitions
- Kimball Winter Art Salon Deer Valley, Utah 2014
- American International Fine Art Fair Palm Beach, Florida 2014
- Kimball Art Center Park City, Utah 2013
- Belgravia Gallery London 2012, 2013
- Naples International Art & Antiques Fair Naples, Florida 2012, 2011
- Art Palm Beach Palm Beach, Florida 2012, 2011
- The Carlyle New York, New York 2011
- Art Newport Newport, Rhode Island 2011
- Carol Craven Gallery Martha's Vineyard, Massachusettes 2007-2010
- The Phoenix Gallery Park City, UT 2003 - 2008
- Xanadu Gallery Scottsdale, Arizona 2009
- Elliott Yeary Gallery Aspen, Colorado 2006, 2007
- Center Street Gallery Jackson, Wyoming 2006
- E.S. Lawrence Gallery Aspen, Colorado 2005